Monday, March 31, 2014

The Civil Wars

This post is about music. Mainly The Civil Wars. Because I love Joy Williams and John Paul White. I think that their voices together are magical. They're both so insanely talented, and I was so sad when they broke up. But that's not what I'm here for. I'm not going to gossip, or spread rumors about why they broke up. I just want to talk about the music.

Barton Hollow was their first album, and let me tell you, that was something special. The first song I ever heard by this dynamic duo was Poison and Wine and it's still one of my favorites. This album has so many great songs aside from Poison and Wine, like Barton Hollow, Falling, I've Got This Friend, and To Whom it May Concern. I just can't get over how well their voices blend together. It's so pure, and so different from anything else out there.

The Civil Wars was their second and final complete album. This album has a very definite flow to it, and it really tells a story. My favorites from this album are The One That Got Away, Devil's Backbone, and Sacred Heart. The whole album is fantastic, but these three are definitely my favorites. They're probably the saddest tracks on the album. But don't be turned off by that; they're worth a listen.

They also appeared on Place at This Table with T Bone Burnett, but I haven't listened to those songs. They had several EPs, with some fantastic tracks on them.

I would definitely recommend listening to The Civil Wars. No matter what music I bounce around to, Joy Williams and John Paul White are the two I keep going back to.

1 comment: