Saturday, April 5, 2014

God Movies

God's Not Dead came out recently, and I'm excited to see it. So in preparation for that, I'm going to rate some of my favorite movies with God at the center.


1. Fireproof (2008): This is a sweet movie. Kirk Cameron plays Caleb, a fireman in a struggling marriage. He feels that his wife doesn't appreciate everything that he does, and vice versa. They decide they want a divorce, and he tells his father about it. His father then gives him a book called "The Love Dare", which is a forty day challenge to try and get your marriage back on track, putting God at the center. Caleb doesn't want to bother, but his dad convinces him to. As he goes through the book, his feelings for his wife begin to come back, and he realizes that he needs to break away from addiction. At the same time that he's trying to rekindle his marriage, his wife becomes interested in a man at work.
The acting in this move isn't great, but Kirk Cameron gives a convincing and emotional performance. 4/5 stars.


2. Courageous (2011): From the same company as Fireproof, this movie is an emotional roller coaster. It centers around four police men and their friend, who take a pledge to become better fathers, and better men. The four officers are waging a war on the drug lords of their small town, and at the same time trying to keep their children away from the gang members. This movie has hilarious moments, but it also made me bawl like a baby. Tragedy strikes one of the families, and let me tell you, it's a doozy. But it's worth it in the end. 5/5 stars.


3. October Baby (2011): Another one that makes me cry. That's 3 for 3. October Baby focuses around Hannah, played by Rachel Hendrix, who never knew she was adopted. Her parents don't tell her until she collapses on stage at the beginning of a play. She discovers that she survived an abortion attempt. She confides in her best friend, Jason. He then convinces her to go with him and a few other friends on a trip for spring break, and he tells her that they can try to track down her birth mother along the way. Sweet, touching movie. 4/5 stars.


4.  Bella (2006): This is one of my favorite movies that I have ever seen, and my favorite on this list. Tammy Blanchard plays Nina, a woman who has recently discovered she's pregnant. She works with Jose (Eduardo Verastegui) at a restaurant where he is the chef. Jose's brother Manny is the manager, and he fires Nina after she's been showing up late and sick. She storms off, and Jose goes after her. She then tells him that she's pregnant, but that she's going to abort her baby. The movie takes place over the course of two days, with flashbacks to a day in Jose's past when his soccer career came to a screeching halt. This movie is so beautiful, and so well done. I love, love, love it. 5/5 stars.


What are your favorite God movies?




3 comments:

  1. I have seen most of the movies you posted and agree! Courages used to be my favorite but after seen Gods not dead I have changed my mind! It is one of the best God movies I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about Prince of Egypt?

    Of the movies you mentioned, I've seen only Bella and October Baby, both of which I liked. I think my favorite God movies are usually movies that aren't overtly about God, but have stories that speak to grace and redemption, that weave love and sacrifice throughout the plot, you know?

    ReplyDelete