Saturday, April 26, 2014

Psych

I have watched Psych for several years now, and I have a lot of feelings about it. I'll try to go with few/no spoilers.

My first experience with Psych was seeing ads for it in various places. I didn't really pay any attention to them; it was just another TV show to me. And then I had a friend tell me it was better than Monk, a detective show I was binge-watching at the time. So I started the pilot, and quit after the first fifteen minutes. Shawn was an obnoxious, unlikeable womanizer. Or so I thought. Then, I had another friend tell me that the whole show isn't like the pilot. So I went back, and tried it again.

I got hooked on my second watching of the pilot, and I proceeded to binge-watch the first five seasons on Netflix. I fell in love with Shawn and Gus, and their quirky friendship. There have been so many wonderful moments, that I can't even put them all on paper. There have been cliff hangers that left me on the edge of my seat and dying for the next episode (Santabarbaratown, anyone?), countless laugh-out-loud moments, and I've even cried a few times. Because this show is awesome.

This is the show that I turn to when I am stressed. It never fails to calm me down, even on my worst days. I'm currently rewatching from the beginning with my older sister, who has only seen a few scattered episodes.

I shipped Shawn and Juliet from the first minute she came on the show. I love these two together. Any little moment between the two of them had my heart racing. They have such wonderful chemistry, and all the problems they've had have only strengthened their relationship. Juliet is a very strong character, and one of my favorite moments with her was after the in Mr. Yin Presents, when she finally allows herself to break down.

I love Lassiter. I really do. He drove me crazy at first. I couldn't stand him, and I wished he would leave the show. But then I really started to like him, and I even had a (really weird) dream once that we were married, and had a three year old son. Lassiter makes me laugh, and even his arrogance has become endearing. His moment with Juliet in 1967: A Psych Odyssey almost had me in tears.

I think Gus kind of deserves his own post. He's so fabulous. "Heard about Pluto? That's messed up, right?" is his favorite conversation opener for an attractive woman, and it's overused. But that's okay, because it still makes me laugh every time he says it. Gus has come so far from season one, and I'm not ready to say goodbye to him. Or to any of them.

I waited, and waited for Psych: The Musical to come online (we don't have cable). For weeks, I waited. And then I just caved, and bought in on Amazon. I loved it so much. It had me in stitches, and I think it was such a great decision to make a musical episode. The cast all sounded good, especially Dule Hill, who does have broadway experience.

The finale... What can I say? The finale was basically perfect, especially the last five minutes (anyone else catch the Monk reference?). I was crying off and on through the whole thing. There's really nothing more I can say about it without spoilers.

I have laughed and cried with Shawn "Captain Crunch" Spencer, Burton "Magic Head" Guster, Juliet "Jules" O'Hara, and Carlton "Lassie" Lassiter. This show means so much to me, and I can't believe it's over.








2 comments:

  1. I have never seen Psych... is it really as good as it sounds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it. The actors are talented, it's funny and well written, with good character development and fun story lines. You'll just have to watch it and decide for yourself. :)

      Delete