Saturday, October 31, 2015

So...

So, I guess tomorrow is November 1st. And I guess that means NaNoWriMo starts, or something like that. I don't know, I haven't been paying attention.

Oh, who am I kidding? I've been counting down the days for weeks.

I remember when I first heard about NaNoWriMo, I thought my friend was crazy for doing it. Turned out he wrote a pretty cool novel, and I ended up doing what seemed impossible and writing a novel in November, too. It's so weird to look back on Novembers before 2011, and to think about a time when I wasn't completely obsessed with the same set of characters for thirty day. It's weird to remember not looking forward to November. I don't really remember what it feels like for it to be December 1st, and to think "I'm ready for next November."

NaNoWriMo even provided me with my final essay for my English Comp Class freshman year of college. I had a list of essay ideas to choose from, and I was able to use one of them to write about writing, and my feelings about my own writing.

NaNoWriMo has boosted my confidence about my writing so much. When I dove in and wrote a novel in a month way back in 2011 when I was practically a child, it shot my confidence through the roof. I had done it! I had written the longest thing I'd ever written! And I'd written it in only like 27 days! And it was totally amazing!

Okay, so maybe that last one wasn't completely true upon looking back on some of my cringe-worthy lines. But I don't even care. I had so much, and it launched me into a world of writing a novel a year. This is my fifth year, and I can't wait to see what kind of adventures it brings me.

1 comment: