Monday, October 9, 2017

NaNo 2017

Hi! It's been an incredibly long time since I posted anything, and for that I apologize. And yes, this is a short post, but I wanted to pop in and share my NaNoWriMo 2017 plan. My story is called Margaret Hale and the Thorntons of Milton, and it is a modernized twist on North and South, by Elizabeth Gaskell (we even share a first name!!). It's actually an idea I had a long time ago, but never put on paper. I have loved the BBC North and South miniseries for years, so I'm excited to put my own spin on the story.
Here's my summary:

Margaret Hale didn't expect her college living situation to turn out like this. When she moved in with Fanny Thornton, she thought she knew what she was getting herself into: Fanny was sweet, if a little ditzy, she kept her house tidy, and she didn't throw massive parties. That was really all Margaret needed in a roommate.
And then John showed up.
Fanny hadn't warned Margaret that her older brother, John Thornton, the successful businessman, might stay with them. For longer than just a short visit. But suddenly he's there, and before Margaret can even blink, he has moved into the spare bedroom. She tries to make the best of it and get along with John, but they disagree about everything. How is she supposed to get along with a guy who disagrees with some of her most fundamental beliefs?
It doesn't help that she misses home -- the town of Milton is just not for her. Sure, she has friends, like Liz Higgins and her father, who works for John. But one thing is for sure: Margaret Hale will never fit in with the Thorntons of Milton, and she's not sure she even wants to.
I am so excited to get started on this story, it's ridiculous. Honestly, it's probably a little ridiculous I'm doing NaNo at all this year, because I'm so busy and I'm editing another book. But I've done NaNo every year since 2011, and there's no way I'm stopping now. Wish me luck!
xo
Liz

1 comment: