Friday, February 28, 2014

NaNoWriMo

I didn't think I could do it. I really didn't. When I first heard of it, I was surprised anyone would do it. And then a few years later, I suddenly decided I was going to write an entire novel in November of 2011. I wanted to write about a teenage girl facing an unplanned pregnancy. So I did. And it turned out... okay. Sure, it was very choppy, and so first drafty I couldn't even look at it for weeks afterwards. And I still haven't had the courage to revise it. But that's okay. Because I wrote the whole thing. And I loved doing to so much, I did it again in 2012.

And that one was awful. I wanted to write about a dystopic society that had reverted back to 1800s restrictions. But I also wanted to write a sci-fi novel. So it turned out to be sort of in between, and since I couldn't decide what I wanted it to be, it was ten times choppier than the first one. But I still loved the process. So, I did it for a third time a few months ago.

This time, it was awesome. It's been a long time since anything I wrote flowed that much. Yes, there were times when I got stuck, and there were things I didn't like about it. But I love the finished project. It's about a girl who goes into the Labyrinth to fight the Minotaur, but she's disguised as her brother. I went into it thinking it was going to be very much an action/thriller novel, but it so wasn't. It turned out to be much more about the characters, and their relationships with each other. And I love that book. I love, love, love it. I'm working on the sequel right now, and there characters are my babies. They really are.

3 comments:

  1. Your first novel made me cry. And left me bursting with pride. (I know, I know, I'm your mother and I love everything you write, but still....) And, *you* inspired *me* to write a novel in a month last November and I love that book, too, even though it is choppy and awful, and not-very-well-thought out. But thank you. :) And let's get to work on those revisions.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a cool premise, and it is fun to hear how passionate you are about what you do! Plus I LOVE the idea of you listening to music while you write! It reminds me of Rainbow Rowell, and how she released a playlist to accompany Eleanor and Park. I don't know if she actually listens to music while she writes, but music is definitely a big part of her story.

    ReplyDelete